I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again, I don’t go without the things we need or want I’m just savvy when it comes to spending. I’m always looking for ways to cut corners and save so we can spend on the things we want to. As a professional international travel and lifestyle blogger, one of those costs is phone service. I have to make professional calls both domestic and international just like any other operative business. This is why I keep a home phone service. Still, I get most of my calls to my cell phone because I am traveling half the month which is why I chose to try Ooma, the smart home phone service.
What is a Smart Home Phone Service Anyways?
Glad you asked. Check out all the things Ooma Telo does as a home phone service:
- Blocks unwanted calls like telemarketers and unwanted robocalls (when paired with Premiere service of $9.99 /month)
- Blacklisting feature (also part of Premiere service) manually block up to 1,000 phone numbers, entire area codes, toll-free area codes with a NoMoTobo and Community Blacklist which literally wipes away unwanted calls
- Free calls to Canada
- Instant second line
- Voicemail to email forwarding
- Ring call both home and cell at the same time
- Free companion mobile app
- Three-way conferencing
- Seamlessly connects and interacts with smart devices like Amazon Echo, Nest, Phillip Hue and LIFX smart light bulbs and others for ultimate convenience
- Safety features like getting a call when carbon monoxide is detected with the option to connect to local emergency services
- Initiate calls to check messages with Echo’s Alexa voice assistant
- Auto call forward when you leave home
- Incoming calls and voicemail to Apple watch or Android Wear Watch with colour alerts
- Affordable international calling plans covering over 60 countries worldwide starting at only $14.99 / month
- Calling Ooma to Ooma is free anywhere in the world
- Use Ooma mobile app for iOS and Android to make calls while overseas using WiFi for free
Now that’s one heck of a list! Talk about a lot of bang for my buck! So how does it all work? Ooma is a full router capable of prioritizing voice data directing traffic giving it the most reliable phone service you can have.
It has a USB port that supports WiFi and Bluetooth accessories for future expansion and its built-in speaker offers the ability to screen calls. It’s powered by a 900MHz dual-core processor giving you PureVoice including HD Voice so you can hear and be heard clearly. It also has a 1GB NAND Flash with dual system image for the ultimate in reliability and upgradability to new services.
How Much Does it Cost?
The Ooma Telo product retails at $99.99 one time plus $4-$7 / month in applicable taxes and fees.
1. Free U.S. Calling: Only pay taxes and fees, no long-term contract required. International calling plans starting at $14.99 / month to over 60 countries worldwide
2. #1 rated home phone service for five years in a row by leading consumer research publication
3. Superior voice quality and reliability
4. Caller ID and call-waiting
5. Free Ooma-to-Ooma calling anywhere in the world
6. 30-day money-back guarantee and an extendable 1-year warranty with live customer support
7. 911 Calling and Text Alerts
8. Free Mobile App
9. 15 minutes, easy set-up
10. One-time $39.99 transfer fee to keep home phone number or choose your own number in most any available area code for free
11. My Ooma online portal: Play messages, check call logs and control preferences online, from anywhere
Premier Service: ($9.99 per month)
1. Block telemarketers and other unwanted calls with personal, community and expanded blacklists
2. Free calling to Canada
3. Instant Second Line
4. voicemail-to-email forwarding
5. Ring your home and mobile simultaneously
6. Call forwarding
7. Anonymous call blocking
8. Enhanced caller ID
9. Smart Home integrations (except Amazon Echo, which is part of Basic service)
Purchase on the Ooma website, A-C Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Staples, and more.
This home phone service makes my life so much easier for obvious reasons. Now I can make international calls, use my phone and cell as one, and manage the smart devices in my home. Not to mention getting voicemail to my email! This product is like a dream!
One lucky winner will receive a home phone service prize pack from Ooma Telo to include an Ooma Telo, 1 year of Premier Service, a Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide detector and one LIFX and Nest Thermostat!
To enter to win just go to the Ooma Telo page. Use the calculator to decide what YOU could save on your monthly phone bills in 3 years as well as how long it will take (in months) for Ooma to pay for itself. Then, leave the answers as a blog comment below by July 18, 2016. Be sure to leave your email address next to your answer so we can contact you if you are the winner!
Giveaway open to U.S. residents only, 18 years of age or older.