I happen to love the color green. I don’t think it gets nearly the attention it deserves. So when St. Patrick’s Day comes around I get super excited and start thinking up all these fun and yummy treats to make, in green! That’s why I decided to put together these St. Patrick’s Day Cake Pops. They are super cute and really fun to make.
Put one in your child’s lunchbox, or bring them to the office. You can even give them out to your Irish friends. Either way, these are a definite crowd pleaser.
First you have to start with the cake part. This simple cake recipe will give you that yummy cake pop center. Then you’ll add the green to make your St. Patrick’s Day cake pops.
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-4 drops of green gel food coloring
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 2 drops green food coloring
To make the outside of your St. Patrick’s Day cake pops hold with your bright green coloring you’ll need the following:
- Celebration candy hearts
- 1 bag green Wilton melting candy
Now comes the fun part. The mixing and the making! Follow these easy steps and you’re have perfect little St. Patrick’s Day Cake pops in no time.
1. Grease a baking pan (can be square or rectangle) and preheat your oven to 350°
2. Beat your butter and sugar with a hand mixer for several minutes
3. Add in your eggs, vanilla, milk, flour, and baking soda and mix well
4. Once mixed add in your green food coloring
5. Pour into your baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick test comes out clean
6. Scoop out your cake into a large mixing bowl, make sure not to get the bottom of the cakes as that part browns easier
7. Let cool in the freezer for 30 minutes
8. While cooking mix your can of frosting with a couple drops of green food coloring
9. Mix 1/2 cup of your green frosting into your cake
10. Form your cake mix into ping pong sized balls and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes
11. In a microwave safe bowl, melt your green chocolate melts on 50% power for 4-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted
12. Dip the end of your lollipop sticks into your melted chocolate and into the bottom center of you cake balls
13. Now dip your cake pops into your green melted chocolate, making sure to turn your cake pops until completely and evenly covered
Good luck making your St. Patrick’s Day cake pops! (Pun totally intended) lolz!