We’re now living in an age when global warming has become worse every day, making it a real problem for everyone. There’s more than enough carbon molecules present in the atmosphere today. Greenhouse gases such as methane and nitrous oxide also add insult to injury. Because of them, different regions of the Earth experiences unfavorable, environmental changes.
The increase in the presence of certain toxic gases causes severe climate change. The effects of having plenty of the said elements and trapped heats the environment. Massive blocks of ice melted and sea levels rose because of the intense warmth. Unlike before, at present, there are sporadic occurrences of hurricanes and cyclones. Some areas have turned into deserts while others became flooded. Due to the melting of the ice caps, weather and temperature shifts are more unpredictable.
There are continuous discussion and debate on climate change and tourism. It’s even easy to find an essay about global warming that sort of blames tourists for the worsening of our world. Well, they do travel a lot and consume fossil fuels. With or without being aware of it, they contribute to the environment’s pollution. As a group, they leave a large carbon footprint. Although a global warming essay may prove so, no one can conclude that they’re the worst. The fact is that many play their part in making environmental destruction real.
Humans in General Cause Global Warming
It’s not only the folks who travel a lot who deserve the spotlight in causing the warming of the Earth. It’s not fair to put the entire blame on them. There may be a connection between climate change and tourism, but everyone is part of the issue.
How do men, women, and children warm the planet’s atmosphere?
These gases surface because of everyday transportation, generation of electricity, and household activities. Carbon monoxide is one of them. It is one of the compounds responsible for making Earth warmer. It’s an unwanted byproduct of fossil fuel usage. There’re also methane and nitrous oxide which are present in nature. When there are lots of them, they become harmful. With the three combined and boosting one another, they threaten the surroundings. Also, because of their number high up in the air, homes, and health of people have deteriorated.
Ignorance or Denial of Causing the Problem
Because of poverty or lack of education, people end up abusing privileges. They spend a lot of general supplies without thinking of its negative consequences. Some continue are wasteful despite being knowledgeable. Others are oblivious to their faults. What’s worse is that unreliable folks misinform people about climate change tourism subjects.
Why Do People Point at Globetrotters?
Many hold travelers accountable for the continuous damage to the earth, sea, and air. They accuse tourists of the non-stop emission of greenhouse gases.
- Vacationers more often than not use up a lot of resources than normal. They eat and drink more. In that way, they increase the demand for the production of goods and services. Thus, in an indirect manner, they produce harmful gases in the open. It’s because more food preparation means more operation of machines that use fuels.
- Visitors of local attractions and foreign countries tend to travel a lot. To relax, they also go to places without minding the environmental cost of doing so. They take planes, water vessels, and land transportation vehicles. These machines more often than not operate by combusting fossil fuels.
Even if those are facts, not every sightseer uses up resources in excess. Some consider the hazards to the surroundings of being an irresponsible tripper. A lot are even knowledgeable of the bad effects of gas emissions on tourism and try to conserve. They are mindful of carbon footprint and global warming.
Global Measures to Preserve the Environment
Leaders, philanthropists, and concerned folks took action and found ways to help. They established authorities to observe and enforce international laws for the environment’s benefit. Here their specific measures for conservation that continue to assist today:
- There’s the World Tourism Organization that keeps an eye on things. It continues to study the environmental impact of tourism globally. They have stated that 5% of carbon emissions globally is because of the tourism industry. They said that air and land transportation vehicles are the main pollutants. The accommodation sector is also part of the reason behind the percentage.
- Governments around the globe are making sure that they track climate change tourism. Groups like the Alliance of Small Island States are there to moderate the abuse of fossil fuels. They are also operational to penalize wrongdoers. There’s likewise the imposition of heavy taxes on tourism business owners. A sample of this is that there are steep fees for boats and airplanes. Companies have to pay first before they’re allowed to operate.
Other than disciplining commercial groups, governments also screen vacationers. Before they’re allowed to enter or leave a country, there is an examination. Authorities don’t only look at their possessions upon arrival and before leaving. They also interview them to find out their intention in staying or after their departure.
- Various manufacturers now design and sell products that reduce carbon footprint. Items that get power from solar energy and those for insulation are currently for sale. Plus, there are smart objects that can moderate or lessen energy consumption too. Now distributed are rechargeable batteries, cheap lightbulbs that last longer, and power-saving outlets. Hotels and amusement centers now promote climate change tourism and use such. They guarantee less carbon emission and show it.
Global warming is a very real issue. We must take care of our planet by being proactive about the environment and our footprint.