So you want an affordable flight? Who doesn’t right! One of the most common questions I get (of course after “can you put me in your suitcase”) is,
How can I get an affordable flight?
The answer is more simple than one might think. It’s not about days from departure, or time of day (although there have been a few cases in which this has helped). More times than not I find the best deals when I think about logistics, airline and timing.
Here are a few simple tips to keep your money in your purse (so you can buy those fabulous heels you’ve been eyeballing).
Tips on Finding Good Flight Prices to Europe
- Logistics – Think “I just need to get over the pond (pond being the term for the Atlantic Ocean). Once you’ve made the haul it’s fairly simple to catch a flight in Europe for under 100 USD. So find the destination that gets you to Europe for the least amount of money, then go from there. XL Airways is a great choice for an affordable transatlantic flight. They are even running a special now from NYC to Paris for under $500 on three flights a week running through September. And, wait for it, they’re all-inclusive! Meals, baggage the whole thing. You can’t beat that!
- Time of Year – A no brainer right? Well, many people don’t know the “in season” times for other countries, so it’s best to find out before you start planning what the peak season is. A good rule of thumb is to visit at the beginning or end of the peak. You get the best of the enjoyable weather with fewer people.
- Be Flexible – This is mandatory. You will open up a world of savings if you can be flexible in your scheduling. I love using the Kayak Explore Map, it gives me rates by season all over the world. You can find it here.
- Don’t Buy Your Ticket Late – Now more than ever flights are filling up. Trust me, you don’t want to book that ticket late. You’re likely to get a more expensive price or worse, not have a seat at all. So start looking about 55 days out.
- Don’t be a Diva and Learn how to Pack– You can get by on one suitcase carried on and one checked. I promise. In fact, I never check baggage and I’ve been going transatlantic for years. Packing light will save you money, especially if you are traveling with a family. Bags can add up. What is cool about XL Airways is their baggage is included in the ticket price. Here’s a great video on packing that carry on and +1 bag like a pro:
You don’t have to sit around and daydream about that trip to Europe anymore, with an airline like XL Airways, affordable travel is here! So start pinning that epic trip you always wanted to take and rest easy knowing you don’t have to sell any vital organs to get it!